- Only store leftovers in a cool place or refrigerator. Food that has been cooked and then left to cool can gather many germs that are attracted by the warmth. Ideally, cook only as much food as you can eat.
- If you do keep leftovers, do not keep them for more than 2 days in a fridge and always reheat the at a high temperature, making sure they are heated all the way through.
- Store fresh food in a cool place or refrigerator.
- Cover and store food in containers away from insects.
- Do not store raw food, especially meat, close to cooked food.
- Throw away any food that has gone bad, or is well past its sell-by date.
- If you have a refrigerator, clean it regularly.
- Store food with the new supplies behind the old ones. This helps you eat the less fresh food first.